Since its launch in 1994, the Library‘s award-winning Web site has been the destination of Web users seeking authoritative information and unparalleled collections, with more than 22 million digital objects available in 186 terabytes of content, including photographs, maps, music, film, books and reference information on topics ranging from American history to science and technology to popular culture. The RSS service was launched in response to public requests for alerts on additions to the Library’s digital collections, updates of events at the Library’s public venues in Washington and news of the institution.
The Library‘s RSS service has launched with the following feeds:
- News, a bulletin service of the latest news from the world’s preeminent reservoir of knowledge, providing resources to Congress and the American people
- Upcoming Events, a listing of the dozens of free concerts, lectures, exhibitions, symposia, films and other special programs offered at the Library on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.
- New on the Web, updates on new collections, features, reference materials and other services available on the Library’s award-winning Web site
- New Webcasts, the latest webcasts and podcasts of lectures and events sponsored by the Library
- News from the John W. Kluge Center, featuring updates on lectures, presentations and other news from this center for scholars within the Library of Congress, established to bring together the world’s best thinkers to stimulate and energize scholarly discussion, distill wisdom from the Library’s rich resources and interact with policy-makers in Washington.
- And What’s New in Science Reference, new products and services on the subject of science and technology from the Library’s Science, Technology & Business Division.
The Library will launch additional feeds in specific content and subject matter areas in the coming months. All new RSS feeds will be available from key content pages within the Library’s extensive Web site, as well as from a central RSS Web page at www.loc.gov/rss/.